My Adventures in Thailand (Phuket)


My first overseas trip for 2015 started on the 5th of January. We flew off to Phuket with adventure in our eyes and a unwillingness to admit my nerves for the unknown in the coming week. The holiday was a present to me, therefore feeling a sense of no control if what is going to occur. We landed in Phuket, and was one of the first to get through the small customs control. As we waited for our bags in a heightened anticipation to just get going, as we watched everyone get their bags but myself the realisation hit me that my bag was missing. Unfortunately to start my 21st birthday holiday my bag was left in Kuala Lumpur. Fortunately there was one more flight that night and the prayers were being sent to find my bag in time!
As our taxi pulled up to our hotel after 45 minutes of zooming and dodging locals on scooters our eyes widened to the realisation that we would be staying like royals in this mesmerizing hotel.
Opening the door to our room to find a jaw-dropping room with the balcony, bed and bath overlooking the beach and parts of Phukets glistening lights in the city.

Day 2:

We awoke to realise the dream was our reality as cliche as that sounds it was just like a movie even thing was set perfectly. Thankfully my bag had come late that night and I received it first thing in the morning so I had my sneakers and we headed straight to the gym. If your a person who doesn’t like to workout well this gym would change your mind, the treadmill over looks the beach. After a slow morning of eating everything in sight at breakfast we headed off to Phuket Town. We had no clue as to what was in Phuket town just decided to take a adventure. However this time we didn’t find anything but shops, our taxi driver took us to Old Phuket town which was a gorgeous old street with 100 of year old buildings, however our adventure didn’t end there, he told us he would take us to Big Buddha… Unfortunately he did take us to a big Buddha but not THE Big Buddha then started making up a story as to why he can’t take us (I think he just didn’t want to drive that far). As I got back in the taxi I felt disappointed I was excited for it all plane trip and I thought I was actually going to see it. He took us to ride an elephant though and as much of a amazing experience it was we felt guilty for being on the elephant and how the rider was controlling him. The taxi driver took us home with a quick stop over at his wife’s work.
That night we went to see Fantasea it’s basically a elephant circus show, it’s very over the top with a huge, fake area around with shops and arcade games to play at prior to the Buffett dinner and show. It’s worth seeing the actual show but the night dragged on. We got picked up at 4:30 and dropped off at midnight.

Day 3:
This morning we adventured off to my dream place, Phi Phi Islands. A 2 hour Ferry ride from Phuket to Phi Phi got us to the over commercialized island just after midday. When we arrived it was a flood of people trying get to their locations quickly to get out of the mosh pit of 100s of tourists on a small pier with only one exit. If only that was enough the beaming humid heat making my sweat cry topped it off. I encourage bringing a backpack to phi phi therefore more room to get through people. As our hotel taxi man (pushes our bags on a trolley) navigated us through the twisting maze of shops, bars and restaurants with only the ability to say “beep beep” continuously to get through people we finally made it to our hotel after what seemed a long walk but was only 10 minutes. We realised just a few steps from our room was Phi Phi island.
Phi Phi island would have been an amazing beach and island however sadly we have over commercialized it and it has become a 3rd world country only operating through the nightlife of the continuously changing tourists partying every night.
However contradictory we did go out that night and it was a good night but their drinks are full of sugar, I thought I slept with coke in my mouth all night.

Day 4:
This morning we had a gorgeous sleep in and decided to relax and enjoy the sun in the morning. That afternoon we went out for a Kayak to explore what the island actually has to offer! As we left we were mesmerized by the cliffs and caves naturally made around the island. We had kayaked 3kms through the clear and smooth water when we found a secluded and protected beach hiding from most civilization. It was perfect, with a gorgeous reef and white sand beaches surrounded by cliffs. As we saw the clouds get darker and a storm coming in we decided we must head back. Unfortunately the wind had hit us as we turned the corner, we had 3km to get back home with a strong cross head wind pushing our kayak sideways every stroke. After many motivational speeches from each other we finally made it to land.

Day 5:
We had another lazy morning with our only plan was to sunbake and listen to music. In the afternoon we went out on a tour group to see Maya Bay (where the beach was filmed) we saw monkey beach, snorkeled in Maya Bay and eventually had over an hour to explore the island and white sanded beach. As we were heading home the sun was setting in the horizon. As Nick over looked another boat they had seemed to be waving their arms in a manic state, so our driver just waved and kept driving when we told him we
Think we should go over he finally did. They had a flat battery so thankfully we had saved them. As we pulled up to the beach I was satisfied with my day that we had seen else where other then Phi Phi.

Day 6:
We awoke early to watch the sunrise at the viewpoint, the top of Phi Phi. As
We reached the first checkpoint we had to convince the lady that we had no money as apparently it is private land so you must pay $30 Baht. She thankfully let us and we reached what we thought was the top, as we realised then we were facing the wrong side of the island to see the sunrise we went on a unforgettable adventure. We went down a path in which we thought we were gojng the right way, however once we had walked through the dark forest gojng back down for 10 minutes I started questioning our decision. We turned around and I have a leg full of mosquito bites to allow me not to forget. Once we got back along the path out of the jungle we found a little sign saying “sunrise and sunset view 5 mins this way” so if we hadn’t had gone on a detour we wouldn’t have missed it but we made it their and still saw the sunrising in the sky. Unfortunately it was a amazing morning but the rest of the day we both got ill so thankfully we had already been on our adventure.

Day 7:
Today we headed back to Phuket, leaving Phi Phi behind. We missed the morning ferry at 9am so we had to wait till 2pm which meant we wouldn’t get back to Phuket till 4pm. We went straight to our hotel and jumped in the ocean as the sun was setting. We decided to go all out on dinner as we had extra baht left over and it was our last night after all. We had a 3 course dinner for entree I had garlic prawns, mains tornado (sirloin steak) and dessert was a chocolate fondant with a bottle of wine it was a magical night. We were so engrossed in the food, atmosphere and conversation that the waitress had to ask if we would like to move “as it’s raining”.

Day 8:
Today was airport day, we checked out early and headed to Big Buddha for real this time. I was so thankful we saw it, it’s mesmerizing. And the view on top of the hill is gorgeous. From our first hotel you could see it from the breakfast area. We stopped off at a little restaurant just down the hill from big Buddha and had lunch, then adventured to the airport to come home.


Overall the trip was an amazing week and although it went extremely fast I will never forget the memories I made.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s